Manager Clinical & Laboratory Safety - Abu Dhabi (UAE)
Manager, Clinical & Laboratory Safety, Abu Dhabi
Job Summary: Responsible for managing all aspects of the PLMI Phlebotomy Section, ED Laboratory, and OR Laboratory. This person will also be responsible for the strategic planning, development, implementation, evaluation, and continuous improvement of the safety, environment, and emergency preparedness programs throughout PLMI. This responsibility includes designing programs and procedures to control, eliminate and prevent disease or injury caused by chemical, physical, and biological agents or ergonomic factors. Also responsible for conducting inspections and enforcing adherence to laws and regulations governing the health and safety of staff, patients and visitors to the facility. This person will stand in for other Managers (as well as Laboratory Director) as needed.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees the running of Phlebotomy, Outpatient Lab, ED Lab and OR Lab and ensures all necessary regulatory requirements are met.
- Leads the Institutional Biological Safety Committee (requirement for ISO 15189 and CWA 15793:2008) plus other Pathology safety committees/groups
- Collects and disseminates safety information related to hazardous materials, personal protective devices and safe work practices
- Leads the safety team and organization in meeting UAE legislative requirements related to Environment Health Safety Management Plan
- Investigates the adequacy of ventilation, exhaust equipment, lighting, and other conditions that could affect employee health, comfort, or performance
- Ensures all Clinical and Technical personnel relating to these areas are licensed and adhering to the necessary SOPs, Quality requirements, as well as Safety requirements.
- Develops new and revises existing standards and procedures consistent with the mission of the facility, current recognized international best practice and applicable UAE legislation
- Uses the safety standards as a framework to create procedures on safe work practices organization-wide, within specific departments/areas, or for particular risk factors and issues within the workplace
- Develops training and educational programs related to safety, fire protection, emergency preparedness, hazardous materials etc.
- Maintains master inventory of hazardous materials and ensures that materials are handled properly
- Participates in environmental care audits and assists all departments in completing the recommended corrective actions
- Performs random audits to identify opportunities for improvement; ensures reports are appropriate prior to distribution
- Collaborates with engineers and facility management staff to institute control and remedial measures for hazardous and potentially hazardous conditions or equipment
- Develops training materials, ensures delivery of education to all departments where hazardous materials are used or stored
- Manages and maintains close working relationships with all areas of PLMI including Anatomical Pathology and POCT
- Develops and maintains hygiene programs such as noise surveys, air monitoring, ventilation surveys, asbestos management plans etc
- Continually develops, implements and oversees a comprehensive biological safety program that meets HAAD, CAP, CWA 15793:2008 & ISO15189
- Considered as the subject-matter expert who will develop, implement and maintain PLMI-wide biological safety and associated safety programs through policies, procedures and reference manuals;
- Undertakes clinical audits of these areas as scheduled.
- Oversees the safety requirements and decontamination steps of the Pneumatic Tube System in the Hospital
- Investigates accidents to identify causes and to determine how similar accidents might be prevented in the future
- Determines root causes, trends and adequacy of precautions and training
- Makes revisions to current training programs or develops new trainings in order to change current practices, to alter process design or recommend changes in equipment
- Investigates health and safety related complaints and inspecting facilities to ensure that they comply with public health legislation and regulations
- Develops the hazardous materials program, auditing and training
- Ensures transportation, segregation and storage are product appropriate
- Assists departments in safe removal of hazardous waste
- Other duties as required, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of duties, but mainly to highlight the current main responsibilities of the post.
- Bachelor’s degree in Medical Technology or Clinical Laboratory Science, or equivalent qualification (minimum three (3) year training course), is required
- Masters in Biomedical Science or a relevant clinical master’s degree in a related field eg Safety, is required
- Current national license or registration of a HAAD accepted clinical organisation is required
- Any laboratory medicine discipline-specific specialist diploma or certificate is desirable
- Minimum of six (6) years clinical experience in an accredited clinical laboratory environment by CAP or JCIA or Canadian Hospital or CPAC Clinical Pathology Accreditation (UK) or local experience in any accredited HAAD hospital
- Minimum of three (3) years in an internationally recognized accredited laboratory supervisory position, is required
- Knowledge of clinical laboratory procedures and methodologies is required
- Knowledge of internationally recognized accreditation and regulatory standards is required
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email your current cv to Deirdre firstname.lastname@example.org
Work Visas* for Australian / Irish / New Zealand / UK / passport holders only with primary qualification in these countries (*work visas are issued on the basis of our Recruitment Agency locations)
CCM receives new and exciting job opportunities from our clients on a regular basis.If you have not found the position that suits you best please submit your CV anyway with your comments. We will then contact you when your ideal position comes in to us. Submit your CV here.
Please note that our clients will only allocate us visas for applicants from Europe, Australia, New Zealand, the USA and Canada. If you do not hold a passport from one of these regions we regret that cannot process your application.