Medical/Surgical Nurse - London - United Kingdom
- Location:United Kingdom
- Profession:Nurses - Medical/surgical
- Job type:permanent
- Salary:Please contact the office for salary and benefit package details
Location Overview: London is a vibrant, bustling, multi-cultural city and also a city full of history, heritage and culture. Discover 2000 years of history and pageantry; visit some of its 300 museums and art galleries or eat your way around the city by sampling London’s 6000 restaurants. London’s history is on display for all to see.
Job Summary: To develop high standards of skilled nursing care and professional practice through evidence practice. To recognise the need for personal flexibility within the unit to ensure all aspects of the hospice service are managed effectively.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop new skills and knowledge pertaining to the specialty as advised by the senior sister or charge nurse.
- To be aware of and take appropriate action in regard to cardiac arrest, fire and major incident
- To undertake responsibility for tasks delegated by the Deputy Sister/Charge Nurse and Ward Manager.
- Assist in performing safe effective care for patients requiring specialist palliative care.
- Recognise when changes in patients condition occur and take appropriate action.
- Assist in carrying out extended roles to ensure best clinical practice.
- Assist and advise unregistered staff in the delivery of patient care.
- Assist in the safe transfer of critically ill patients.
- Have responsibility for the correct administration and custody of medicines according to Hospital policy.
- Monitor patients progress, work towards safe and timely discharge plans and ensure barriers to discharge are identified and acted on appropriately.
- Report any untoward incidents to the Nurse in charge
- Assist in the orientation of new staff and students
- Ensure that nursing practices comply with The Hospital policies and procedures
- Oversee the care given by nursing assistants and students
- When required co-ordinate day to day activity of shift with senior staff support
- Participate in audit and suggest any change to improve standards
- Assist in the teaching and development of nursing assistants and students helping them to achieve their learning outcomes
- Other duties as required, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of duties, but mainly to highlight the current main responsibilities of the post.
- Registered Nurse
- Current NMC registration in adult or general nursing
- Educated to diploma or first-degree level
- Previous post graduate work experience in a Band 5 (or equivalent) level post is necessary.