Orthopaedics (Medical-Surgical) Ward Manager- London - United Kingdom
- Location:United Kingdom
- Profession:Nurses - Orthopaedics
- Job type:permanent
- Salary:Please contact the office for salary and benefit package details
Location Overview: London is a vibrant, bustling, multi-cultural city and also a city full of history, heritage and culture. Discover 2000 years of history and pageantry; visit some of its 300 museums and art galleries or eat your way around the city by sampling London’s 6000 restaurants. London’s history is on display for all to see.
- To deliver excellent communication and leadership skills, and be responsible for the day-to-day line management of the team for which he/she is responsible
- To ensure the provision of high-quality nursing care in line with the policies, procedures and protocols of the department and the hospital.
- To act as a role model, support the Chief Nursing Officer, Deputy Chief Nursing Officer and the Senior Nursing Team within the Hospital, and to supervise and support the hospital nursing and Health Care Assistant team.
- To assist in the safe, effective and efficient management of the department within the scope of practice and allocated resources.
- The Ward Manager is a budget holder and authorised signatory for financial and physical resources
- To promote a progressive attitude to the continual improvement of patient care and operational management of the ward through research and evidence-based practice.
- To undertake the role of the Duty Manager once trained on a as needs basis to meet the requirements of the Hospital
- The post-holder works as an expert practitioner in the department’s speciality, and is responsible for the delivery of patient-focused programmes of care, which address the complex and changing health and well-being needs of the client group in his/her clinical area.
- To undertake responsibility for the standards of cleanliness and infection control prevention and management related to nursing practice in the clinical area.
Duties & Responsibilities
- To manage and lead the ward on a continual basis, to provide support to the Duty Managers and the Ward Managers of the other nursing departments.
- To assist in the planning and the delivery of individualised, safe, effective and evidence-based patient care
- To lead in the efficient operational management of the department.
- To manage the department and the resources, including the staffing resources within the agreed annual budget set
- To undertake tasks and responsibilities assigned by the Chief Nursing Officer and Deputy Nursing Officer, supporting the management and development of the nursing service of the Hospital.
- To communicate with and support the Chief Nursing Officer and Deputy Chief Nursing Officer
- To undertake the Duty Manager role
- To work closely with the Consultant Users of the Ward
- To ensure completion and compliance in the clinical audit program
- To ensure completion and compliance of the daily, weekly and monthly safety checks on the ward.
- To undertake the clinical tasks involved with admissions, preparing patients for Theatre, caring for patient’s post-surgery, and discharging patients.
- Supporting, supervising and delegating clinical tasks and where appropriate administration tasks to the Nursing team and Health Care Assistants
- To undertake risk assessments in accordance with the Hospitals policies, procedures and standards and national regulations
- To ensure compliance with mandatory and professional training
- Registered Level 1 Nurse with current NMC registration
- Post Qualification Course in a relevant speciality
- Experience of Team Leading
- Evidence of ongoing training and commitment to development
- Evidence of accumulation of relevant experience/knowledge
- Evidence of knowledge base and competency in the clinical specialities of the ward
- Ability to work under pressure and to deal with emergency situations and/or difficult clients and stressful situations professionally